Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

EENT

Today Emma had a follow up visit with our local eent & it turns out she has reflux & laryngomalacia (soft layrnx) . At first when he heard Emma's symptoms, he thought it was probably vocal paralysis (he says that is very common after cardio surgery, something about a nerve that gets hit during surgery that can cause paralysis) & I told him that sounded familiar but the drs at MUSC quickly ruled that one out. So after discussing things a little further, he decided to scope her so he could see for himself & he found reflux & larynogmalacia. Her larynx & vocal cords are 3 times the size they should be which is odd for a child of her age (it usually goes away no later than 12 months) & he isn't sure either why she never showed any signs of it before her surgery in Dec.

So he prescribed Prevacid & took her off the Zantac. He says Prevacid works much better. I of course told him how much she hated Prevacid from past usage & he gave her dissolvable flavored tablets. He says kids love them & say they taste like candy or a sweet treat. I of course haven't given her any yet so we will see tomorrow how it goes.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I totally understand the joys of liquid Prevacid...C loves to quickly spit that stuff out...I tried it as well and can't say I blame her. It is nasty! Hope the new Prevacid tablet works for you. Maybe now that this has been done you can get some more answers and help with eating?

Kristi said...

I love the new layout. If you can give me until Wed, I'll get you that letter. I have a Veterinary meeting on Tuesday night, and work all day on Monday... I tried to open the file, but I put it on stupid wordpad... I may have to start over... :(