Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cast is off

This morning I took Emma to have her cast removed & she was absolutely terrified, bless her heart. She literally screamed her head off the entire time, or at least as long as some medical person was present in the room with us.

Unfortunately my predictions about myself were dead on & I didn't handle it well at all. The tech was removing her cast, I was fine, clipping of the gauze inside, still fine, but once it was off & I saw bloody gauze & then the 2 pins in her hand, it was over. Thankfully I asked Chris to meet us at the appointment, just in case, & I needed him there. I quickly told Chris he needed to take Emma so I could lay down on the table, I was feeling very faint, already seeing spots, sweating & shaky. If any of you are like me, a medical wimp, you know all the signs but this time they hit me really fast. Fortunately I didn't pass out & the staff was very attentive to my needs.

So back to Emma, much to our surprise, Dr. G put Emma in a molded, hard splint (only temporary) until we can go back on Thursday to get her fitted for a real splint. This splint looks just like the ones you see everyone wearing who is suffering from some kind of hand or wrist injury & it will go almost to her shoulder just like her cast did. She will wear this for 1 month but she will be able to take it off under supervision (eating, bathing, therapy playing...). Then she goes back in a month to be fitted for a new & smaller splint the only goes 1/2 way up her forearm that she will only wearing while she is sleeping. Then she should be free from bondage on her left hand/arm.

Emma's signatures on her cast

More signatures

Her new hard splint wrapped in gauze tape.


Emma's first busted lip. She fell flat on her face last night in the kitchen cruising between the chair & table leg.

No comments: