Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Huge Scare

No this isn't related to Emma's heart or her hand but it is Emma related.
Emma was playing in the kitchen with her mini soccer ball & I went into the living room to make a phone call (only a minute or so - long enough to leave a voice mail) & when I got off I noticed Emma wasn't making any noise. As most moms know, a quiet toddler usually equals trouble or mischief is brewing, so I started to call for Emma. Normally she will answer but nothing. So I got up to look for her & couldn't find her. The back door was open but the screen was closed & locked so I knew she wasn't outside. So up decided to check up stairs & my gut was right. She had climbed all the way to the next to the top step & was reaching out for Zoie & Samantha who were both at the top of the stairs. She had climbed all the way to the top without making a peep. It just made my heart sink when I saw her sitting there & she thought it was no big deal of course. I didn't fuse at her because I was just glad she was okay but man did it scare me to see her sitting there.
Normally something has to trigger her to climb up the stairs, one of the pets is sitting there or following us up them but nothing like that happened. Plus our stairs have a landing half way up & turn & go the rest of the way up so she had no trouble getting up them at all.
After I had calmed down I called my sister, Karen to share the news & she informed me Emma did the same thing at her house today while I was at the doctor. She keeps my neice Morgan who knows to stay off the stairs & she usually tells Emma "No No" but this time all she did was sit in amazement and watch Emma climb. My brother-in-law, who works from home, found Emma & immediately called for Karen. She was just has horrified as I was to find Emma at the top of the stairs. So she has had quite an eventful day.
We knew Emma was capable of climbing stairs, especially since her PT, Leslie, taught her how several months ago & we keep a baby gate at the bottom when she attempts to climb but we will have to use it at all times now. That will make a total of 5 baby gates in our house up most of the time. One at the laundry room to keep the dog out of the cat box, one at the bottom of the stairs, one at the top of the stairs, one on the upstairs hall bath to keep the dog out of the other cat box & one at the office to keep the dog from eating the cat food (wee take this one down during the day). We are so tired of gates & its only the beginning.

3 comments:

Erica said...

That's good, right?! That she can climb? Go Emma! Except for the scaring people part.

Time for someone to learn how to go DOWN the stairs!

Ms. Elaine said...

Now is the time to teach her to go down....there is no stopping her! My mom spent one day with each of her 6 grandbabies as the day approached it was time to teach them to go down once they could go up-(she had stairs-none of us did)!

angie said...

Emma just took her 1st steps today in PT, so I am not quite ready for her to go up or down the stairs, especially not alone.